Apple Pie Egg Rolls
IngredientsFor the egg roll wrapper:
For the egg roll wrapper:
- Sift the flour and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the middle, then add in the eggs and water. Mix gently using a spatula.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Add more water if needed.
- Cover the dough in plastic wrap and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Knead the rested dough briefly, and roll it out using a rolling pin or a pasta machine.
- Cut out squares measuring 3 1/2 inches. Roll the scraps again and repeat with the remaining dough.
For the apple pie filling:
- Dice the apples. In a medium saucepan, add the diced apples, lemon juice, cinnamon powder and sugar. Heat the mixture over medium heat. Dissolve the cornstarch in a tablespoon of water, then pour it into the saucepan. Reduce the heat to medium-low and bring to a boil, stirring constantly until the apples are soft and the sauce is thickened (about 5 minutes).
- Remove the apple mixture from the heat, stir in the vanilla extract then transfer the mixture to a bowl to cool completely.
- To fold the egg rolls, portion the apple mixture in the lower third of each wrapper. Roll the wrapper from the bottom upwards and fold the edges inward. Wet your finger and run it around the edges then seal roll.
- Deep-fry the egg rolls for 3-4 minutes until golden brown. Remember to turn the egg rolls occasionally to prevent burning.
Serve hot with caramel dipping sauce!